Thursday, January 22, 2009

First few days


I'm here, and starting to settle in a little bit. The plane flight was sort of difficult and I was up for around 34 hours before getting to sleep. I sat next to a UD student who I had never met before for both flights, and by the time we finally got into Rome, we were pretty good friends and felt like we had known each other for a really long time.


Now the jet lag has pretty much worn off and it looks like it is going to be a great semester. We had a couple hour tour of Rome today and we ended with mass at the Vatican, which my group was unfortunately late for. We saw the Trevi fountain, which was really cool and not that crowded, and the Spanish Steps. Apart from that we just learned how to use the multiple public transportation options around the city. Rome is actually pretty small so you can also walk all over the place, which is neat.


Some groups had Italian men follow around and either try to sell them things or take pictures with random girls, but my group didn't have any similar problems. We did come across one guy who we suspected might be a pickpocket, but no one had anything stolen. Apparently it isn't really pickpocket season; that comes later in the spring. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures yet; my camera wasn't charged and died on the road there. I'll correct this sad situation soon! The picture that is up is the view from my window, which has shutters rather than blinds by the way.

2 comments:

  1. It looks a lot like California--hilly, brushy, tile roofs, palm trees. It must not get too cold, since I see what appears to be leafy trees in the background and, of course, palm trees. I'll have to add the Rome weather report to our home page. The shutters look neat! Is there a screen on the window?

    Did you walk for your tour? Were your shoes ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no screen. Yep, I walked and the shoes were fine.

    ReplyDelete